I was talking to a friend the other day who was stuck in a tough situation. She felt like she was caught between her brain and her gut. She kept telling me what her gut was screaming for her to do, but that she understood the logical side of things. We got to talking about how our gut feelings are often our truest compasses and rarely steer us wrong. She knew what she had to do and that was listen to her gut, even if it didn’t completely make sense to her.
I think we’ve all been in situations like this before where our gut, or our intuition, are guiding or even SHOVING us in a particular direction. Think back to a time when this was true for you. What was your intuition telling you to do? Does this speak to a greater purpose?
Sometimes when our intuition is speaking to us, it’s our soul driving us through to our true purpose. What is it you long to do? And how often do you take time to check in with your deeper desires? Those things you want to achieve in life — how you really wish you were spending your time. Think about all the things you say you will do after you retire and have time on your hands. Imagine the fulfillment you could be experiencing now if you let your soul guide you to your truer purpose instead of waiting.
Listen to Your Soul
You might be saying, “What am I listening and watching for?” You’re looking for small signs that tell you you’re headed in the right direction. Those last-minute free tickets you received to a cultural event. That child or pet in need who fell into your lap for support. That job opening in the nonprofit that truly holds your heart. Signs can guide you toward your soul’s purpose, and getting in line with our purpose now will bring greater fulfillment and growth as individuals.
We all have the potential for wilder creativity, greater activism and humanitarian work, and deeper connections to culture and humanity. Let’s look into ourselves, see what it is that our souls really want and stop putting it off. We need to activate our soul work. Your soul is seeking you and wants you to understand your purpose.
Writing Your Soul
Ok, that sounds a little crazy, right? Like you can just sit down and write out your purposes? But in a sense, you really can. Here’s how:
- Commit. Sometimes this is the biggest hurdle. Commit to the process of digging deeper and discovering your soul work by setting aside time each day or week to write and sticking to your schedule. Try this process for at least a month.
- Open up. Shut down any closed thoughts such as “I can’t do this” or “This process is going to be too difficult for me.” Be open and willing to just have the experience. Take a deep breath. Whatever comes to you is wonderful and meant to be.
- Listen. You can sit with a particular question in mind or just a general “What do I need to know?” thought pattern. You might want to ask why you’re receiving a particular experience at that time or what you should do with an opportunity that’s presented itself.
- Write it down. As you’re listening just write the words. It may be nonsense or it may be brilliance and that’s OK. Let your thoughts flow directly through your pen without editing them. This is not the time to worry about punctuation or proper grammar. Write down the messages and thoughts you hear.
- Take action. Don’t simply write down these revelations and leave them in your notebook. You’ve got to take action! Consider what you learn after each session and follow up on the discoveries as soon as you can. Action creates movement in your life and drives you toward greater impact and satisfaction.
Writing provides a deep level of understanding and digs right into the soul. Let the words flow freely and have fun with the treasures you uncover.
If you’re looking to dive even deeper into your soul’s work and uncover what you’re meant to do, contact me. Together we can create a plan to help you achieve that fulfillment and bliss that comes with following the path you’re meant to be on.
For more tips on stress management, meditation and overall well-being, contact me! As your health and wellness coach, I’ll work with you toward your individual goals and help you live a more fulfilling, joyful life.
A nurse for more than 25 years, Karen David is a Certified Wellness Coach and Lifestyle and Weight Management Specialist. She brings her passion for well living and calm presence to empower others in health and wellness. Karen is CEO of Live Life Well, LLC.
This article is for informational purposes only. Practices, services or products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Please speak with a doctor before beginning any new health regimen.